March 6, 2010

"I would say weeks"

from Friday, February 23, 2007
Her stomach has been bothering her for the last week and she has not been eating much. She has headaches every day and they are giving her pain medication a few times each day. I have seen a couple seizures in her face and she is not very responsive for a minute or so during/after. Her speech is worse in the last day or two and she's not completing sentences well, so they are increasing the steroid again. The doctor today thought he heard something abnormal in her chest and did an x-ray but we don't have results yet. Her heart rate has been elevated also. We have an MRI ordered for March 8th.

The main news is that when I asked the nurse practitioner today about prognosis, he said "I would say weeks." Mom has made it known in the last two days that she will not be admitted to the hospital again, even if it is something life threatening. She said she has hit her limit and has had enough. I knew she would get to this point sometime, but I just didn't know when. It looks like it is time for hospice. She just wants to be at home now, and I am trying to figure out how to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment